Thursday, May 13, 2010

poor sick baby.

"I am sorry for ever doing this to you." - my husband to Maggie

Tonight starting at about 7pm our exhausted Magaroni started getting really cranky. This is abnormal for her. Bed time is normally pretty easy. Not tonight. And so I walked. I patted. I laid her down. I walked. I patted. And repeat for almost an hour. We gave her Tylenol (Up & Up brand) thinking her teeth were bothering her. We gave her a teether. We gave her teething gel. Still we had a screaming, whimpering, runny nosed little baby on our hands.

And then we realized her little constipated tummy may be bothering her. And so we called Nurse Advice (okay Scott called). They advised us to give the little one warm apple juice (something we already tried yesterday). They did say not to dilute it. And that she could have up to 5 ounces a day. And so the warming and feeding of apple juice commenced.

And then I fed her for a second time in two hours.

And then we tried to decide what to do from her. She was still crying. She was still upset.

Then the light bulb went off. Take her temperature rectally. It could stimulate a bowel movement. As I took her temperature she started passing gas. And within 30 seconds of removing the thermometer, a little poop ball fell into her diaper.

Scott held her little legs. I massaged her tummy. I tried to help her relax. And she pooped. And she pooped. And she pooped. And now our little screaming constipated little girl is asleep in her bed.

But I can say this. You know you are a parent when you sit around your child and try to help them poop to make them feel better.
(Scott however apologized for having to take her temperature rectally. And hopes that it wouldn't scare her for life.)

1 comments:

breedwoman said...

pure awesomeness! reind her of this story when a boy you don't like tries to date her!

Post a Comment