Saturday, September 8, 2012

19 weeks.

    This little baby is the newest addition to our family.  I think the baby looks like it's sister, with the Miller nose I inherited from my dad.  You can see the hands and the cute little face, already looking a little chunky.  And while this little baby is perfect, it has a special foot (potentially).
     On Friday September 7th, I went for my anatomy scan to check the skull and spine for defects (I was born with a neural tube defect leaving my children more likely to be born with them).  So far the baby's skull and spine look perfect.  But upon inspection, the baby's left foot is turned in, leading the doctor (Maternal Fetal Medicine) to believe the baby has club foot.  It is singular, but still there.  Because of my history and the fact that club foot can be linked to genetic disorders like Downs Syndrome and Trisomy 18, the doctor suggested I get an amniocentesis.  We go in Tuesday morning for the amnio.  It will take up to 2 weeks for the results.  We are praying that these results come back negative and that the only thing wrong with our little angel is a club foot.
     Club foot is treatable and even famous athletes have been born with club foot (Mia Hamm).  It is also fairly common, happening in about 1 in every 1000 births.  We are optimistic and while it sounds a bit mean, we are praying for nothing to be wrong, but if something is wrong that it is "just" club foot.  We will start meeting with pediatricians and other doctors to plan for treatment, because treatment for club foot starts about 7-10 days after birth, if there are no other complications.
     But now on to my normal update...


Weight Gain: +3 

Stretch Marks: No new ones. 

Movement: The kicks are getting stronger.  I can feel them on the outside.      

Cravings: Chocolate.  

Sleep: It can be good and it can be bad..   

Best moment this week: Seeing our little gummy bear squirm around on the ultrasound on Friday.  

Gender: We still have a guess.  

Labor signs: None. 

Maternity clothes: I am in mostly maternity clothes, but most of my shirts are still a little big to wear. 

What I miss: Right now, just sleep.  

What I'm looking forward to: Getting the results from the amnio. 

My next appointment: 9/11/12 for the amnio & 9/25 for a regular appointment

0 comments:

Post a Comment