Friday, April 15, 2011

Couponing.

     So a few nights ago, I watched a show on TLC.  It portrayed the crazy women (and men)that can buy $1900 worth of groceries for $100.  Because they take couponing, sales shopping, and stockpiling items to the EXTREME.  (The show is called Extreme Couponing.)
     Couponing has always ben something I have been interested in.  But I never thought clipping a coupon here and clicking a coupon there would ever save me any money.  That's because I never got the idea.  I never knew the rules.  I never understood HOW it worked.  I thought it was simple.
     Boy was I wrong?!?!?
     Couponing is about ORGANIZATION.  You plan the coupons you will use, the meals you will serve, the way you will shop, how much of each item you will get, the way you store your coupons, how you will store your unused coupons, et cetera.
     Couponing is about planning.  You must plan your coupon usage around the sales flyers for your local grocery store.  It is about planning your trip to the grocery store.  It is about planning every detail (and using your organization to keep all straight).
    Couponing is about buying as many products as possible on sale AND then using your coupons (both manufacturers and store and competitors- if your grocery store takes them).  You want to "stack" your coupons as much as possible.  Which means using 1 manufactures coupon and 1 store coupon per item that is on sale to compound your savings.
     And guess what?  It works!  I may not save 95% on my groceries (yet).  But over the last few days I have put in some effort.  I have clipped more coupons than I knew possible.  I have found some websites to help me.  I use e-mealz.com for meal planning, a coupon match-up website, and multiple coupon websites.
    Today, I went shopping today at Publix and drum roll please...  I bought $260 worth of groceries for $150.  I saved $110!!!!  On my very first "couponing" trip.  I have a lot to learn (especially the only buy what I need, not just something on sale).  But I think that this is considered success.
$110 PEOPLE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment